Do you want to change your phone serial number? Is it an android device? Here, we’ll discuss on how change serial number of any android phone easily.
The assigning of serial numbers to android devices by every phone manufacturer has been put in place to counter and detect theft and counterfeit products. The serial number is used to recognize phones and help the manufacturer identify their device.
Every phone has a unique serial number given by the manufacturers so no phone can have the same serial number regardless of the manufacturer. It is important for tracking products, app licenses, device servicing, cellular network and replacements or warranty.
Over the years, most people confuse serial number with IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) or MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier); whereas a serial number is different from these two.
Serial numbers are solely used by phone manufacturers to record and keep track of their products while IMEI or MEID is only used for phones or other communication devices.
Depending on your phone, your device will either have IMEI or MEID number, this two numbers are different from a serial number IMEI has a unique 15-digit number assigned to all cellular devices.
Think of a serial number as your phone fingerprint. Meanwhile, a MEID has a 14-digit number assigned to cellular devices and is only assigned to mobile devices and sometimes known as electronic serial number.
Can You Change Serial Number on Android?
It is entirely possible to change serial number on android phone or device. After reading this article, you should have full knowledge on how to change your android device serial number.
Pros and Cons
Before we go through the process of learning how to change serial number of any android device, it is important to know that there are a lots of disadvantages that follows.
1. Removal of warranty.
If you change the serial number of your android device, there is no guarantee that your device will still be covered b.y warranty even if it is a new device. This implies that you will have to fix all your phone’s damages by yourself and with no discount.
2. Poor troubleshooting.
If your device gets damaged or it encounters any issues in the future, you may not be able to troubleshoot the issue from your phone manufacturer website.
3. Issues with ordering parts.
When ordering parts, you may be required to input your device serial number; if you use your changed serial number it won’t work as you are not entitled to any of their service again.
If you wish to resolve the issues as stated above, you can follow the same method in the article to change your serial number back to the original.
Alternatively, you can input your original device serial number on your manufacturer website; it might work for some device.
How to Change Serial Number of Any Android Phone or Device
Before you change serial number of any android device, you should write down your original serial number as you may need it in the future if you wish to change back or for other reasons.
1. Root your android device using Kingoroot.
To change your phone serial number your android will need to be rooted to allow high access to the app you are going to install to change serial number. If your phone is not rooted yet. It can easily be rooted by following this short steps
Install KingoRoot application it is free and can root your phone with just one tap. Note: KingoRoot is not available on Google Play Store it can only be downloaded by KingoRoot APK and manually install it
To install it you will need to go to setting and make sure your device is set to allow apps from unknown sources.
When you have install KingoRoot. Run the App, tap One Click Root then your device will be rooted in no time
2. Install Xposed Installer and give it all priviledges.
Install the Xposed Installer on your Andriod Device. Allow the app to run at the highest privileges. After installing Xposed Installer on your android, the only thing you would need is the Xposed module Serial Number Changer.
You should know that you can download the Serial Number Changer from the Xposed Installer when you Switch to Modules, and then Search for the “Serial Number Changer”.
3. Install the app note then activate.
Install app note then after the installation, you can choose to either activate only or activate and reboot, you should choose activate and for better performance.
4. Open the module and give it root access.
After your device successfully reboots, unlock it, then launch the Module and give it Root Access; this will activate the serial number changing function.
5. Input your desired serial number.
Input your desired Characters. The app will mask your original S/N with the Fake one.
6. Reboot your device.
After you successfully input your desired SN and apply the changes, you will be required to reboot your device immediately for the changes to take full effect. It is usually advised that you restart your device immediately.
Importance of Serial Number
The serial number of a phone is a crucial way to identify the gadget and has a number of uses, including:
- Tracking of warranty and repair status: The manufacturer and carrier can keep track of a device’s warranty and repair status using the serial number. This can help determine whether a gadget is still under warranty, if it has already been fixed, and other things.
- Software licensing and device activation: A device’s serial number can be used to activate and verify its software licenses. This can stop software from being installed on many devices or from being used without authorization.
- Tracking and identifying lost or stolen equipment: Lost or stolen equipment may be tracked and identified using the serial number. The serial number can be used by law authorities and wireless providers to track down lost or stolen devices and get them back to the rightful owners.
- Security and authentication: In situations where Mobile Device Management (MDM) or Mobile Application Management (MAM) solutions are employed, the serial number can be used as a distinctive identifier to authenticate a device. It may also serve as a key to encrypt information stored on the device.
- Inventory and logistics: Retailers, wholesalers, and logistics firms can utilize the serial number to manage inventory, such as for warranty returns, lost or stolen devices, or to follow the item through the supply chain.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Android serial number same as IMEI?
No, the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) and the serial number for an Android device are not the same thing.
The serial number is a special identification code given to the device by the maker, but the IMEI is a special number given to the cellular modem of the device by the mobile carrier.
The serial number may be used for warranty or maintenance whereas the IMEI is commonly used for identifying and tracking mobile devices for cellular networks.
Is Android serial number unique?
An exclusive and unique identification code given to the gadget by the manufacturer is the Android serial number. It may be used for a number of things, including device activation, tracking warranty and repair work, and software licensing.
It is designed to be particular to each device. It’s not always guaranteed to be entirely unique, though, as some manufacturers may reuse serial numbers for several products or there may be instances of duplication brought about by human mistake.
Can two phones have the same serial number?
Yes, two phones can have the same serial number and even more than two phones. This is because serial numbers are meant to be unique identifiers given to each device by the manufacturer, it is theoretically impossible for two phones to share the same serial number.
However, there may be instances of duplication brought about by human mistake or production problems. It’s also conceivable, albeit less often, that certain manufacturers will utilize the same serial numbers across many products.
Additionally, some fraudulent phones could have real-looking false serial numbers. Therefore, the likelihood that two phones share the same serial number is low.
What can someone do with IMEI and serial number?
A serial number and IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) can be utilized for a number of good and bad intentions. Several instances include:
- Tracking and identifying lost or stolen mobile devices: The IMEI may be used by law enforcement and cell carriers to locate the whereabouts of a lost or stolen device and perhaps restore it to its rightful owner.
- Blocking of stolen devices: Mobile carriers can utilize the IMEI to block or blacklist stolen handsets, reducing their value to criminals by preventing them from connecting to their network.
- Tracking of warranty and repair status: Manufacturers can track a device’s warranty and repair status using the serial number.
- Software licensing: Software licenses on a device may be activated and verified using the serial number.
- Gain unauthorized access: Malicious actors may try to mimic devices, get around security measures, or obtain unauthorized access to devices or networks by using the IMEI or serial number.
It’s critical to remember that disclosing your serial number or IMEI to unreliable sources increases your risk of identity theft and other sorts of fraud.
Can you track a phone with a serial number?
Since the serial number is frequently utilized for warranty and repair tracking, device activation, and software licensing by the manufacturer, it is typically impossible to trace a phone using just its serial number. The location or use of the gadget are often not connected to the serial number.
However, if the phone has a GPS tracking capability activated, the owner or the police can track it using the IP address of the device with the appropriate court order.
Why do criminals remove serial numbers?
There are a few reasons why thieves would delete or change the serial numbers on gadgets like cellphones, computers, or other electronic devices:
It is more challenging for law enforcement or the manufacturer to track the gadget back to its original owner or to a specific point of sale when the serial number is removed or altered. This may make it more challenging to find a stolen gadget or identify a tool of crime.
To sell the gadget as new: Thieves may take out or modify a device’s serial number in order to sell it as new through physical stores or online marketplaces. By doing this, they might be able to sell the equipment for more money and avert suspicion.
To avoid being apprehended: If a criminal is found in possession of a stolen item, the serial number can be used as proof to link the item to the crime. The offender might make it more challenging for law authorities to connect the gadget to the crime by erasing or modifying the serial number.
It’s important to note that erasing or changing serial numbers is prohibited and punishable by law in many nations.
Is serial number same as SIM?
No, a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card and a serial number are not the same thing.
A serial number is a distinctive identification that the manufacturer assigns to a product; it may be used for a number of things, including software licensing, warranty and repair tracking, and device activation.
The subscriber’s phone number, carrier details, and other account data are stored on a tiny, detachable chip called a SIM card, which is utilized in mobile devices. It enables the device to join a mobile network, connect to the internet, and make and receive calls and texts. It enables the network to identify the phone and is particular to the carrier and device.
In conclusion, a serial number serves as the device’s distinctive identity, and a SIM card is a tiny chip that houses subscriber data and enables mobile network connectivity.
Can someone hack my phone with the serial number?
if a hacker has access to your phone’s serial number, they could use it to try to gain access to your device or personal information by attempting to impersonate you with the manufacturer or mobile carrier. For this reason, it’s important to be cautious about sharing your phone’s serial number with any unknown parties.
Is every serial number different?
Is it safe to share IMEI and serial number?
Do I need to hide serial number?
Yes, but it is not that important.
Why is it possible to restore a filed off serial number?
It is possible to restore a filed off serial number because the process of filing off a serial number does not completely remove it from the device. Instead, it only damages or alters the surface of the device, where the serial number is located.
There are several methods that can be used to restore a filed off serial number, such as:
- Chemical restoration: This involves using chemicals to dissolve or etch away the surface material that was used to obscure the serial number, revealing the underlying numbers and letters.
- Mechanical restoration: This involves using tools, such as a microscope, to scrape or grind away the surface material that was used to obscure the serial number.
- Digital restoration: This involves using digital imaging and enhancement techniques to improve the visibility of the serial number. This can include adjusting the brightness, contrast, and color balance of the image, as well as using image processing algorithms to sharpen or enhance the visibility of the serial number.
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF): XRF is a non-destructive analytical technique used to identify the composition of a material. This method can be used to detect the presence of the filed-off serial number, and it can be used to retrieve it.
These methods can be used to restore a filed off serial number, however, the success rate depends on the material that the serial number is stamped on and the amount of filing or damage done to the serial number.
Moreover, it’s worth noting that it is illegal to file off a serial number, and it’s a criminal offense, so if a device with a filed off serial number is found, the authorities will work to restore the serial number to identify the device and track its history.
What makes a serial number valuable?
A serial number is very valuable due to its uniqueness and importance. It can be used to replace faulty parts if the device or phone is still covered under warranty. Without a serial number, this will be almost impossible.
Is Android a serial number?
No, android is not a serial number but it has a serial number. To find the serial number of your android phone, you can simply click the text or use the search box on this website.
How do I get my SIM serial number?
You can get your SIM serial number by checking on the surface of the SIM card as it should be there. Alternatively, you could check the SIM pack that was given to you when your purchased the SIM.
What information can you get from a phone serial number?
You can get information about your device like warranty, phone size, weight, color, manufacture date and many others from the phone manufacturer website.
The type of information you can get solely depends on the phone manufacturer.
Those are all the required steps that are needed to change serial number of any android device. You should ensure that you take them sequentially to avoid any issue, if you encounter any problem while taking the steps above, you can reach out to us using the comment section.
Most importantly, you should note that changing the serial number does not change it in the manufacturer website or record so you can still use your original serial number when ordering for parts or troubleshooting.
If you are using an iPhone device, you can read our free guide on how to change serial number on iPhone.